The UN peace agreement is a complete farce. There are numerous reasons, here are a few:
- Russia and China are ascendent in their global ambitions. Economically, politically, militarily, they are eager to be the most meaningful players on the world stage. It is in their best interest to keep America as entagled as possible in world affairs elsewher... i.e.: the Middle East. They love the peace agreement, because it ensures that America will not be able to keep their eye off the ball and gives them a tremendous opportunity to climb to the top of the ladder
- The Arab countries are not interested in peace. They are interested in taking over the world. They don't mind destroying a lot of things and killing a lot of people along the way. They certainly don't mind if the US can't get anything done to prevent them. This peace agreement is an excellent opportunity to keep our hands tied, and they are happy to put French and other troops in between them and the US / Israeli forces.
- Take that thought to it's extension and the UN forces soon to be deployed in the South Lebanon are the ultimate shield from Israeli and American troops. Once the ~15,000 blue helmeted troops are deployed, and once it is clear they will not make progress disarming Hezballah, the good guys will have no way to strike in Lebanon without spilling blue blood. That will be the end of the international goodwill that is the only possible upside of the current agreement.
- The Nazis were a nationalistic movement (kudos to the Rantel listener and Rantel himself for this idea.) This means they could only expand their mission by inspiring the same nationalistic fervor in all the countries they gained influence over, but it also meant that the alliance could split at any time, if the Czechs or Austrians or Poles decided they were in the fight for their own nation instead of the German nation.
- The Nazis (again thanks to the conversation for this idea) fundamentally desired to survive the fight. It was possible to wreak enough havoc on their homes to inspire them to put down their arms and live to see tomorrow.
- The current struggle is based on religious ideology. They do not care if they live. In fact their beliefs tell them death is a great thing, bringing access to the riches of Heaven. This requires us to fight them to the very death. Nothing short of massive casualties to the Islamic forces and their civilian population... massive... will cause them to change their religious philosophy.
- The Muslims are ascendent across Europe, particularly in England, Spain, France and Germany. All of these countries are having some difficulty recognizing the threat and a significant difficulty rallying the nerve to fight back and stop it. The odds are with the Islamist here. At some point they will cause a major Euorpean government to fall, causing tremendous difficulty in restoring the Western ideals and government in that nation. Worse, they might actually become the government, either thru force of arms or by bringing about hte surrender of the Western lifestyle. Either way, once they have removed the established government they have access to a terribly significant quantity of nuclear material. The Jihadis will have, at their fingertips, either the nuclear material from the many power plants in the former nation in question and/or to the actual nuclear arms themselves. They have numerous choices then. They can launch these in attacks against neighboring European states yet to fall. They can simply blow it up in place and cause a massive disaster in their adopted land. The can portage that material to the US or anywhere else in the globe and foment disaster.
- The Israeli government is very likely going to lose a no confidence vote very soon. Maybe this will be for the best in the longterm - a new, more belligerent leader willing to fight could rise. But during the time of transition, while the campaign is happening, Hezballah, Iran, and the other players will declare a significant, and accurate, victory. This is the most likely and strategically perfect time for all of the Arab and Islamic forces to strike out very aggressively at a weakened Israel. They may not win, but hte pain suffered by our allies could be significant, before the Jews get their feet beneath them and fight for their very existence on all sides.
I simply cannot uncover, no matter how much I think it thru, what the possible beneifts are of this peace agreement. The iron was hot. The troops were mobilized. The path was clear. And now Israel is sending their troops home to a fearful life instead of engaging the battle on our terms and winning.
There will be peace in our time, but it will be some time from now, and I fear we will suffer great pain before it arrives.